Policies on child avatars on mature or adult sims
What are Linden Lab's policies towards Child Avatars
Policies towards child avatars are largely focused on the actions of the avatars, not the avatars themselves.
Child avatars are allowed within Second Life. A child avatar, even within a mature or adult region (but not participating in adult (in this case, sexual) ) activities is allowed. A child avatar is allowed to do everything any other avatar is, with the following exceptions:
- Child avatars in sexual situations (sexual congress obviously, though it is unclear beyond this) are not allowed and abuse reportable (ARable).
- Public promotion (classified listing, profile, etc.) of sexual situations with child avatars is not allowed and ARable.
- Creating areas for the purpose of sexual ageplay is not allowed and is ARable. This includes having items with sexual content (sexual pose balls or equipment) in proximity to items traditionally associated with children (swingsets, etc.)
- Indicating that the *real age* of a child avatar (as opposed to a stated SL/role-playing age) is below the main grid age is not allowed and ARable.
- Child avatar nudity has been called into question as well. While no language specific to nudity was included in the initial policies, child avatar nudity of the genital or chest regions, including in otherwise non-sexual situations (skin vendors, for example) can be a violation. This also applies to parcel descriptions: nudity or "clothing optional" language can not be included in a parcel description on a kid-specific area.
Note that child avatars are allowed on PG, Mature, and even Adult public parcels, provided with the latter that they are adult verified. Note that this does not necessarily apply to private parcels where one has the option to eject or ban as desired. The allowance of child avatars on adult-rated land such as Zindra does not invalidate any of the above rules.
As with all things, context is key, and err on the side of caution.